We know Colorado is the coolest state. And with over 300 days of sunshine and the Rockies, your very backyard offers the best experiences! As we begin 2015, see what you’ve already checked off and make some new plans!
1) Do a hut trip!
The 10th Mountain Division Hut System is a great way to hike all year round in the backcountry and have lodging beyond your typical tent.
2) Relax in a hot spring.
On a winter day there’s nothing like immersing yourself in one of Colorado’s natural thermal pools! You can reward yourself a dip in Conundrum Hot Springs after reaching the top of the 8.5 mile hike (one way) or check in to a resort spa like Mount Princeton.
3) Enjoy an epic ski run!
Why not challenge your skills on one of these mountains (but be cautious…don’t come home on crutches!).
- Plunge, Telluride: Just under 12,000 feet and includes a steep drop!
- Highland Bowl, Aspen: Adrenaline-running terrain with views of the Maroon Bells.
- The Grande, Silverton: A 2,100 vertical foot drop that must be captured on your mobile for proof!
- Birds of Prey, Beaver Creek: The incredible course used for the World Cup races.
- The Cirque, Winter Park: A 45 minute hike up, but the seconds you’ll spend flying down the mountain are worth it!
4) Run the BolderBoulder 10K!
Join 50,000 people on Memorial Day weekend to run the iconic BolderBoulder peppered with entertainment all along the way like a slip-and-slide, 30+ bands and even a beer-and-bacon pit stop.
5) Go Camping About 10,000 Feet
There’s just something about experiencing the Rockies at a high elevation. Sure the weather can get a bit intense, but inside the near the top of the treeline you experience the beauty and serenity in a way few people can.
6) Ride Lookout Mountain
If you love to bike, then Lookout Mountain is one trek to conquer! The 4.6 mile trip (one way) has a steady 5% incline, pushing bikers to climb 1,217 feet.
7) Climb a Fourteener